This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the southern facade with gardens and the lake in the foreground, 1947-1955. The postcard, which is unused, was published by Nucolorvue Productions, Mentone, Victoria.

Nucolorvue Productions, Mentone, Victoria was established in 1947.

By the late 1940s the Exhibition Building had fallen into a state of disrepair and was threatened by demolition. It was portrayed as a 'white elephant' in the press and condemned as a legacy of Victoria's 19th century heyday. Leading public figures suggested that the building was no longer useful and that a new Melbourne Town Hall should be built in its place. However, a steady increase in exhibition frequency and attendance soon revived support for Australia's only large, indoor exhibition space.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the southern facade of the Exhibition Building with lawn, the lake, trees and two swans in the foreground. The photograph is surrounded by a white border with the title below. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information