This is a colour postcard of the southern facade of the Exhibition Building circa 1904. The postcard, which is unused, was made by Harding & Billing, Sydney & Auckland.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the Exhibition Building with a view of the south east corner. The photograph is surrounded by a thick white border and the title of the image is printed in the border below the photograph. The lake is in the foreground, with the building reflected. On the reverse, there is text stating that this is a Harding & Billing card, registered no.739, 29/4.04. The card is unused.

More Information