Summary

This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing the southern facade and Hochgurtel Fountain with grass and gardens in the foreground, circa 1990. The postcard, which is unused, was published in Canberra by Colour Tech Productions Pty Ltd. The photograph was taken by Robert Schorn.

The Exhibition Building and fountain were built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. The fountain was designed by Josef Hochgurtel, a young German artist from Cologne. It is Hochgurtel's only known piece of work in Australia.

Physical Description

A colour photograph of the southern facade of the Exhibition Building showing the Hochgurtel Fountain, flower beds, lawn and framed by the foliage of a tree. On the reverse of the card there is text about the Exhibition Building and space for a message, address and stamp. The card is unused.

More Information