This is a black & white postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing the south east facade of the building from Nicholson Street, made circa 1905. The postcard, which is unused, was printed in Leipzig, Germany and features a photograph by JW Lindt.

JW Lindt worked as a photographer in Melbourne between 1876 & 1881. This photograph was most probably taken immediately prior to or following the Melbourne International Exhibition, as it depicts the obelisk and lighthouse in the garden but no flags are atop the building. The postcard, however, was not manufactured until many years later.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Britain until 1902 and Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the Exhibition Building, gardens and part of Nicholson Street showing tram, people and carriage. Photograph taken from an elevated position in Nicholson Street with a view of the south east facade in the background. The lake and gardens are in the immediate foreground as well as the obelisk and lighthouse structure immediately south of the building. Annexes appear at the north side of the building. The photographer was JW Lindt (1845-1926). On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information