This is a black & white postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing the Hochgurtel Fountain under construction, made post 1905. The postcard, which is unused, was printed as part of the 'Australian Youth Series'.

The photograph on this postcard was taken in 1880, when the Hochgurtel Fountain was under construction. The Exhibition Building and fountain were built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. The fountain was designed by Josef Hochgurtel, a young German artist from Cologne. It is Hochgurtel's only known piece of work in Australia.

The division of the reverse of the postcard indicates that it was made post 1905. The division of the reverse, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A monochrome postcard showing the southern facade of the Exhibition Building. The top quarter of the card is plain white. At the bottom, a wide view of the gardens, lawns and trees. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information