This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the southern facade with the lake in the foreground, circa 1906. The postcard, which is unused, was printed in Germany.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Britain until 1902 and Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the Exhibition Building with a title overprinted in the top right hand corner in orange ink. The lake is in the foreground and the scene is reflected in the water. The card is tinted green, blue and cream. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information