Black & white postcard of the 'Exhibition Buildings, Melbourne, Australia', showing the southern facade of the building from the south-west, circa 1904. The postcard is in unissued condition.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the Exhibition Building with the southern facade in the background and recently planted shrubs and hedges in the foreground. There is a white border around the photograph with the title below the image and space to write a message on the right. On the reverse of the card there is space to write an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information