Summary

This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the centre of the southern facade of the building circa 1905. The postcard, which is unused, was made by Harding & Billing, Sydney & Auckland.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the Exhibition Building from the south east with the lake and gardens in the foreground. The building is reflected in the lake. A green decorative border surrounds the image. On the reverse are the initials HB in an artist's palette surrounded by a laurel wreath. This is the trademark of Harding & Billings. The card is unused.

More Information