This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing a view through the garden of the south west corner of the building circa 1906. Although the manufacturer is unknown, the postcard, which is unused, was part of series number 103590.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the south west facade of the Exhibition Building. In the foreground there are garden beds, shrubs and an unmade pathway. The sky is tinted blue and pink. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information