This is a black & white postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the south west facade of the building and the gardens in the foreground, circa 1902. The postcard, which is unused, was printed in England.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Britain until 1902 and Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph surrounded by a wide white border. The photograph shows a view of the Exhibition Building in Carlton Gardens from the south west. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information