This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the south west facade from Rathdowne Street circa 1905. The postcard, which is unused, was printed as part of the Victoria Stamp Market (VSM) Series.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A colour tinted photograph of the south west facade of the Exhibition Building. The card is tinted green, blue and yellow with a gloss finish. In the foreground is the garden with shrubs and an unmade roadway. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information