This is a colour postcard featuring a gum leaf and an image of the southern facade of the Exhibition Building, circa 1908. The postcard, which is unused, was printed as part of the 'Gum Leaf Series'.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A colour postcard with blue text and a large green gum leaf on a white background. Within the gum leaf there is an image of the Exhibition Building from the south with the lake in the foreground. There are trees and shrubs between the lake and the building. In the upper right hand corner of the postcard there is the Victorian state shield within a circular border. On the reverse of the postcard there is space for an address, a message and a postage stamp. The card is unused.

More Information