This is a black & white postcard of the Exhibition Building showing the Hochgurtel Fountain and the southern facade of the building circa 1930. The postcard, which is unused, was printed as part of the Rose Series P 10754, by the Rose Stereograph Company, Armadale, Victoria.

The Exhibition Building and fountain were built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. The fountain was designed by Josef Hochgurtel, a young German artist from Cologne. It is Hochgurtel's only known piece of work in Australia.

Physical Description

A black & white photograph of the view looking north towards the southern facade of the Exhibition Building. A view of the pathway and the Hochgurtel fountain is bordered by mature trees. On the reverse of the card there is an image of a rose as well as space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card is unused.

More Information