This is a colour postcard of the Exhibition Building, showing the south west facade and people enjoying the Carlton Gardens in the foreground, circa 1905-1906. The postcard, which is unused, was printed in England by Raphael Tuck & Sons as part of the Wide Wide World series 'Melbourne' (No. 7292). The card features an image by English artist AH Fullwood.

Series No. 7292 also contained images of Government House, the Houses of Parliament, Princes Bridge, The Melbourne Cup & the Yarra River.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

Physical Description

A colour postcard from the Wide Wide World series published by Raphael Tuck & Sons, with a scene by AH Fullwood of the Exhibition Building in Carlton Gardens. Taken from an oil painting in autumn colours, the building is shown from the Rathdowne Street side with lawn, gardens and a pathway in the foreground. There are many people, formally dressed, walking and sitting in the gardens. On the reverse of the postcard there is a coat of arms with a lion and unicorn in the upper left hand corner and Raphael Tuck & Sons' trademark in the right hand corner. Extensive text on the left hand side gives information about the Exhibition Building. Space is provided for an address, a message and a postage stamp. The card is unused.

More Information