Clear glass engraved with Australian fauna and the words 'Melbourne International Exhibition 1880'. The glass, one of a set of three, would have been purchased as a souvenir of the Exhibition, which was held in the (Royal) Exhibition Building from 1 October 1880 to 30 April 1881. While display pieces could not be removed from the Exhibition Buildings until the close of the Exhibition, souvenirs were available to the casual visitor. Exhibitors therefore had a number of blanks like this glass, that would have been engraved on site.

Physical Description

Three matching crystal souvenir glasses with handles. Etchings of Australian flora and inscription are etched into the surface.

More Information