The 'Official Record of the Melbourne International Exhibition, 1880 -1881' is a valuable resource regarding Melbourne's first International Exhibition. It outlines a brief history of the colony and exhibitions throughout history. It also provides a complete catalogue of exhibits, and jury reports and prizes. There are a number of advertisements throughout the publication.

The International Exhibition ran from 1 October 1880 to 30 April 1881. The exhibition building that still stands was constructed for the occasion, designed by Joseph Reed and built by David Mitchell. Over 1.3 million people visited the exhibition at a time when Melbourne's population was only around 282,000.

Physical Description

Hardcover book, red cloth with gold lettering on cover and spine titled Official Record of the Melbourne International Exhibition 1888-81. Front cover is decorated with gold impressed filigree and the obverse of the commemorative medallion struck for the exhibition. This shows a profile of a young Queen Victoria wearing a tiara with a veil across the back of her head. The back cover shows the reverse of the medallion and the cover is decorated with embossed filigree. Inside, extensive text including advertising, a history of this exhibition and previous international exhibitions, a complete list of exhibits, reports by juries and awards. Also contains fold out sketch illustrations showing exterior of Exhibition Building, plan of exhibition site, and the British Court.

More Information