Summary

Photographer: George Rose, Melbourne.

Two almost identical sepia stereographic views mounted on thick brown card. The images show the Manufacturers' Monument erected at the corner of Collins & Exhibition St, in honour of the visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York for the opening of the first Federal Parliament on 9 May 1901.

The opening of the Australian Parliament was an occasion for great celebrations in Melbourne. Ten days of festivities (from 6-16 May) were planned to mark the Federation of the new nation and honour the Royal visitors, the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York. The city was transformed with decorations - flags, bunting, colourful lights and festive arches - and a series of public events were held, including a military tattoo and several street parades. Unprecedented numbers of people arrived in Melbourne from the rest of Victoria and throughout Australia to take part in the celebrations.

Description of Content

The Manufacturers' Monument erected at the corner of Collins & Exhibition Streets, in honour of the visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York for the opening of the first Federal Parliament on 9 May 1901. The Monument has four platforms on which lions sit. Four small columns rise from the platform with a large column rising above them. A sphere tops the large column and the Union Jack flies from the top. The street is decorated with bunting and flags and a small group of people mill about at the base of the monument.

More Information