Summary

Alternative Name(s): Booklet, Programme, Catalogue, Guide Book

Soft-covered book with a sepia toned illustration of a soldier in battledress. 92 pages of printed descriptions of exhibits at the Australian War Museum, with illustrations. Printed by Osboldstone & Co. Pty Ltd Printers, Melbourne, 1922.

Relates to the relics of the Australian War Museum, a fore-runner of the Australian War Memorial, which was housed in the Exhibition Building from Anzac Day 1922 to 26 January 1925. 780,000 people had visited the displays.

The Australian War Memorial continued to use the Exhibition Building as its principal store until the 1940s, and as its main office in the 1930s; the Exhibition Building housed the Melbourne Branch Office until Sept. 1971. The Guidebook was written by C.E.W. Bean.

Physical Description

Soft-covered book with a sepia toned illustration of a soldier in battledress with his rifle and bayonet ready for action. Back cover has a locational map of Royal Exhibition Building. Catalogue comprises 92 pages of printed descriptions of exhibits with illustrations. Black and white photographs of the display cabinets are interspersed through the booklet. On the back cover is a map showing the location of the Museum within the Exhibition Building complex in Carlton Gardens.

More Information