Large framed watercolour of the Exhibition Building, built in Carlton Gardens, Melbourne between 1879 and 1880 for the Melbourne International Exhibition. The watercolour was probably painted by the architect of the Exhibition Building, Joseph Reed, and reflects the changes to the original design that was sanctioned by the Exhibition commissioners in May 1879; these included the addition of a machinery annexe and acres of temporary annexes.

Physical Description

Large framed watercolour of the Melbourne Exhibition Building, showing flags flying, crowds arriving, gardens and the extensive building. Drawn as a bird's eye view, it depicts people arriving on foot, by charabanc and in cabs and carriages. Brass plaque attached to the centre of the frame at bottom.

More Information