Metal Funnel, manufactured by Willow Ware in Australia. It was purchased by Vincenzo Candela and his wife Emanuela Nigro after their migration to Australia in 1920. The Candelas made much of their own food including homemade pasta, tomato sauce, wine, sausages and they roasted their own coffee. Items that could not be purchased in Australia were often ordered by mail from the Italian manufacturer. This was a practice common in both Italy and Australia. Vincenzo also received catalogues from Italy after his migration to Australia.

Willow Ware began as a partnership between Ralph and Richard Wilson in 1887. They established the Wilson Bros in 1889 in Flemington before moving to North Melbourne. They began by making tinned plate tea and biscuit canisters. Later they printed metal kitchenware with the blue willow pattern, under the Willow brand, a name they applied to the company in 1965. Willow Ware Australia Pty Ltd is currently located in Tullamarine. It is a great example of a company that began operating from the backyard of the family home, and has grown into a company exporting to over fifty countries. Willow Ware have won a Commonwealth Export Award (1972), design awards for their microwave cookware range (1987) and an award for manufacturing excellence (1987).

Physical Description

Small metal funnel. Markers mark on one side. Circle with a triangle inside.

More Information