Alternative Name(s): Face Mask
Black flannel blizzard mask, made circa 1952-1958 for use in the Antarctic. Masks of this sort were known to ANARE (Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions) personnel as 'blizzard masks'. Found in large downstairs storeroom at Simpson's Glove Factory.
Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was established in Victoria St, Richmond, in 1924. It manuufactured leather gloves, coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods in response to market demands, largely for an up-market clientele. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until it was sold in 1988. The large proportion of its employees were women.
Museum Victoria's Simpson's Glove Collection covers all aspects involved in the process of manufacturing, from design and cutting to the machine work and the sales and marketing of the finished products. The collection documents many industrial and social issues.
Face mask made from black flannel, fully lined with white flannel.Tapes attached to top corners for fitting to head. Throat buttons closed with adjustable fittings. Flap over mouth opening; fastens at right with metal press stud.
Cultural Gifts Donation from Mr Alistair Mitchell, 1989
Donated through the Australian Government's Cultural Gifts Program.
Type of item
37 cm (Width), 26 cm (Height)
Exhibition Collection Management
37 mm (Length), 26 mm (Height)
255 mm (Length), 460 mm (Width), 120 mm (Height)
Measurement From Conservation.