Alternative Name(s): Gloweave Fineline
Men's shirt manufactured circa 1956 by Gloweave Consolidated P/L located in Brunswick Street, Fitzroy.

The Melbourne-based company was established in 1944 under the name Comfort Shirt and Underclothing Manufacturing Company and originally made military shirts and undergarmets. In 1950 Saul Same changed the organisation's focus by designing shirts that were more stylish and fashionable and the business soon became a well-respected menswear retailer. Four years later the company changed its name to Gloweave, the nylon fabric name of its most popular and best selling shirt. Gloweave is still in operation today and has expanded its range to include a wide variety of men's and women's clothing.

First manufactured in 1956 the Fineline was a business shirt, made from a terylene-nylon warp knit fabric, which was knitted at Gloweave's knitting factory. It was cross dyed with horizontal stripes across the garment as vertical stripes were unfashionable at the time. It retailed for £79/11.

Physical Description

Long sleeved shirt with horizontal blue and white stripes. The buttons are translucent white and the collar is quite small. There is a tag attached to one of the buttons which is shaped like a shirt. The tag is black, white and red. There is another label floating freely within the box which is red, white and blue. The shirt is packaged in a box with a transparent lid. Also in the box is a grey, plastic coat hanger. The way in which the shirt is packaged is subject to change.

More Information