Alternative Name(s): Glo-Weave Free-Way
Men's shirt manufactured by in the early 1950s by Gloweave Consolidated P/L located in Brunswick Street, Fitzroy.

The Melbourne-based company was established in 1944 under the name Comfort Shirt and Underclothing Manufacturing Company and originally made military shirts and undergarmets. In 1950 Saul Same changed the organisation's focus by designing shirts that were more stylish and fashionable and the business soon became a well-respected menswear retailer. Four years later the company changed its name to Gloweave, the nylon fabric name of its most popular and best selling shirt. Gloweave is still in operation today and has expanded its range to include a wide variety of men's and women's clothing.

Manufactured in the early 1950s this shirt was made from a 100% polyester warp knit fabric. It was named freeway as freeways were just opening in Melbourne and to imply that the fabric breathed.

Physical Description

Grey and white stiped Gloweave shirt with some subtle blue in the grey stripe. It has long sleeves and translucent buttons. It is folded on a piece of cardboard and the collar is kept in shape with a cardboard support. It is packaged in a cardboard box with a partially transparent lid. There is red black and white writing on the box. The way in which the shirt is folded and the packaging are subject to change. There is also a grey plastic coat hanger in the box.

More Information