Alternative Name(s): Collecting Box; Donation Box

Used: circa 1929

The operations of the Methodist Babies' Home were supported by donations sought from Methodists throughout Victoria. The "young men of Methodism" were especially encouraged to seek donations in their local church congregations, and to run fund-raising events within the congregation and the wider community.

The Methodist Babies Home was opened in 1929. Babies, especially from the inner-city slums, were referred to the home through the Children's Court. From 1929 until the early 1970s the Home's role was to care for babies awaiting adoption. From 1974, the direct care of neglected babies was phased out in favour of family-unit-based support services.

Physical Description

Rectangular varnished collecting box with hinged lid and lock. Name painted in gold paint on front of box. Used to hold donations to the Methodist Babies Home.

More Information