Summary

Balaclava of mauve/grey wool. Made circa 1960-1979. Collected from Simpson's Glove Factory, Richmond, in 1989.

Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was established in Victoria St, Richmond, in 1924. It manuufactured leather gloves, coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods in response to market demands, largely for an up-market clientele. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until it was sold in 1988. The large proportion of its employees were women.

Museum Victoria's Simpson's Glove Collection covers all aspects involved in the process of manufacturing, from design and cutting to the machine work and the sales and marketing of the finished products. The collection documents many industrial and social issues.

Physical Description

Mauve/grey wool balaclava. Knitted in once piece with ribbing. Joined from neck to chin with overlocking; edge around face also overlocked. Neck edge rolled up and overlocked.

More Information