Ceremonial Collar used by the Loyal Orange Institution in Melbourne, Victoria. According to rules and regulations the blue & orange colour collar was worn by female members. The Loyal Orange Institution is a Protestant society first formed in Ireland in 1795 to defend the rights of Ulstermen. The first Orange Lodge in Victoria was founded in 1843, following a sectarian protest in Elizabeth Street Melbourne over the election of a Protestant candidate to the Legislative Council.

By the 1890s there were 169 branches in Victoria, engaged in political lobbying for mainstream Protestant issues like temperance, Sunday observance, opposition to state aid for church schools, and opposition to any expansion of the political influence of Roman Catholics. The monthly meetings had an element of secrecy, as members wore regalia and followed a simple ritual. No Catholics could join. Women were admitted to Lodges in 1903.

Physical Description

Collar pale blue ribbed satin embossed orange trim. There are several jewels and badges pinned to the collar. These include: a rosette of gathered blue satin; crown; letters "L.O.L" no. 353; King William III; 6-point star with letter "R"; hand clutching wheat stalks; small jug; star of David; letters "PM" in fancy script; a Holy Bible; one gold and blue enamelled badge with "Loyal Orange Institution 20 Years Service" around perimeter; a Holy Bible with crossed swords resting on cushion surmounted by gold and red enamelled crown; a jewel attached to peach-coloured ribbon; two small badges reading "10 Years Service"; scroll and laurel leaf decoration; and a gold key.

More Information