Summary

White cloth bonnet, made of tussore and lace.

Made around 1940 as a demonstration piece by staff at the Emily McPherson College. The students, most of whom were teachers in training, did handiwork right through their course. The donor had taught at Emily McPherson College.

The College was established in Lonsdale Street in 1906. The first residences for students - the Domestic Arts Hostel - were built in 1911. In 1927 the Emily Mcpherson College of Domestic Science was opened by Duchess of York, funded from a bequest from Sir William McPherson, and named after his wife. The College was amalgamated with RMIT in 1979.

Physical Description

White cloth bonnet, made of tussore and lace with intricate shirred and rouleau work.

More Information