Set of three traditional Latvian brooches made by Mr Grins, in 1945, in Esslingen, Germany. Esslingen was the largest Latvian Displaced Persons camp, with over 6,000 Latvians living there and maintaining their national traditions. It was a close-knit community with its own school, theatre, sports clubs and cultural activities. In 1947 it also held the first Latvian Song Festival outside of Latvia.

Physical Description

Set of three identical round metal brooches in descending size from large to small. Each brooch is slightly convex with scalloped decorative edging, and a hollow centre across which lays a straight pin, hinged at one side. The outer ring of each brooch is etched with stripes and a decorative rope effect runs around the inner edge.

More Information