Home-made sewing palm, made from scrap of black leather, with wooden cotton reel handle, stuffed with unknown material. Made and used at Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond, 1970s.

A "palm" or "sailor's thimble" was held in the palm of the hand, and used to force sewing needles through thick materials, such as canvas, leather, etc.. The "working" face of this item, that is the side away from the cotton reel handle, shows evidence of being used to push needles.

Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets and associated leather goods. The company first operated in Smith Street, and subsequently Alexandra Parade, Collingwood, relocating to Victoria Street, Richmond in 1928, where it remained until 1988.

More Information