Alternative Name(s): Glo-Weave Fineline
Men's shirt manufactured circa 1956 by Gloweave Consolidated P/L located in Brunswick Street, Fitzroy.

The Melbourne-based company was established in 1944 under the name Comfort Shirt and Underclothing Manufacturing Company and originally made military shirts and undergarmets. In 1950 Saul Same changed the organisation's focus by designing shirts that were more stylish and fashionable and the business soon became a well-respected menswear retailer. Four years later the company changed its name to Gloweave, the nylon fabric name of its most popular and best selling shirt. Gloweave is still in operation today and has expanded its range to include a wide variety of men's and women's clothing.

First manufactured in 1956 the Fineline was a business shirt, made from a terylene-nylon warp knit fabric, which was knitted at Gloweave's knitting factory. It was cross dyed with horizontal stripes across the garment as vertical stripes were unfashionable at the time. It retailed for £79/11.

Physical Description

Cream Glo-weave shirt patterned with thin, blue and grey stripes. It has long sleeves and translucent buttons. It is currently folded on a piece of cardboard and the collar is kept in shape with plastic and cardboard supports. This packaging, however, is subject to change.

More Information