Vase decorated by Helen Ilich at Ellis ceramics studio in Fitzroy around 1955. Helen migrated to Melbourne from Croatia in 1953 with her two children, her husband already having arrived. She had always wanted to be an artist but rarely had the opportunity or parental support to pursue her passion. This continued in Australia but she found a degree of artistic outlet by working in three ceramic studios around Melbourne - Ellis, Isobel (a small independent business) and Guy Boyd's studio which she particularly enjoyed. Helen later joined the Heidelberg Artists' Society and taught painting at home, producing many works of her own.

Physical Description

Ceramic vase with a green and white glaze. The vase has a rounded lower section, a long neck that narrows and then opens out to a lip at the top. There is a c shaped handle on one side, which has been glazed in dark green.

More Information