Alternative Name(s): Gloweave Royal Suede
Men's shirt manufactured circa 1959 by Gloweave Consolidated P/L located in Brunswick Street, Fitzroy.

The Melbourne-based company was established in 1944 under the name Comfort Shirt and Underclothing Manufacturing Company and originally made military shirts and undergarmets. In 1950 Saul Same changed the organisation's focus by designing shirts that were more stylish and fashionable and the business soon became a well-respected menswear retailer. Four years later the company changed its name to Gloweave, the nylon fabric name of its most popular and best selling shirt. Gloweave is still in operation today and has expanded its range to include a wide variety of men's and women's clothing.

First manufactured in 1959 this shirt featured either a jacket styling or a sports styling with a V-front. It was made from a non-directional suede treated with a new fabric process, Terlinden. The shirt retailed for £79/11 and was stocked by Myer.

Physical Description

Orange corduroy shirt with brass buttons. It has long sleeves and a pocket on the left side of the chest. There is a white tag attached to the shirt's label. The shirt is currently hanging on a black plastic coat-hanger.

More Information