Alternative Name(s): Glo-Weave Body Shirt

Men's shirt manufactured in the 1960s by Gloweave Consolidated P/L located in Brunswick Street, Fitzroy.

The Melbourne-based company was established in 1944 under the name Comfort Shirt and Underclothing Manufacturing Company and originally made military shirts and undergarmets. In 1950 Saul Same changed the organisation's focus by designing shirts that were more stylish and fashionable and the business soon became a well-respected menswear retailer. Four years later the company changed its name to Gloweave, the nylon fabric name of its most popular and best selling shirt. Gloweave is still in operation today and has expanded its range to include a wide variety of men's and women's clothing.

Manufactured during the 1960s the body shirt was styled as a tapered business/sports shirt, with a fused collar with longer rounded peaks, it remained popular for many years. It was made of a knitted fine jersey produced on special machines originally used for hosiery. The fabric was lubricated during the dyeing process to prevent needle damage while the garment was being sewn. The lubricant was used exclusively by Gloweave and gave them the edge in manufacturing shirts from this material.

Physical Description

Purple and white paisley long sleeved shirt with black tag attached. Includes plastic and paper packaging.

More Information