Australia Tasmania Centenary of Launceston medal 1906
Mint: Stokes & Sons
Commissioned and distributed by: F. & W. Stewart

Other Details: Centenary of Launceston medal, commissioned and distributed by: F. & W. Stewart, jewellers, in 1906. It was made for distribution to the children of Launceston. F & W Stewart was established at 147 Charles Street, Launceston, in 1879 by brothers Frederic and William Stewart. The Stewart brothers are considered Tasmania's first medallists. The company struck 'quite a few' medallions and medalets for local events and exhibitions during the late 19th - early 20th century. The issues are of importance because they cover five major events: the Launceston Industrial Exhibition of 1886-7, the Jubilee of Queen Victoria 1887, the Tasmanian exhibition of 1891-2, the Centenary of Launceston 1906 and the Australian Natives' Association Exhibition, Launceston, 1908. Of greater importance was the fact that the company was the first in Tasmania to import machinery and strike their own medals.

The Australian Natives' Association was a Friendly Society which provided benefits to its Australian-born members. It was a staunch supporter of trade protection and immigration restriction, and Prime Minister Alfred Deakin was a member.

Obverse Description

At centre within wide rim Arms of Launceston with two TasmanialnTigers as supporters, motto on ribbon below, PROGRESS WITH PRUDENCE; around on wide rim, CENTENARY OF LAUNCESTON * TASMANIA 1906 *

Reverse Description


Edge Description



The Centenary of Launceston was celebrated on 21 March 1906. The focal point of the Centenary was a large procession including nearly every organised body in the city. Led by the St Joseph Band, it included a coach bearing the Premier of Tasmania, the Hom. John Evans, the Mayor of Hobart, Alfred Crisp and the Mayor of Launceston, The Hon Charles Russen MLC. In the evening hundreds of pigeons were released from a loft built in Cornwall Square.

Only one medal was released for the Centenary: the Centenary of Launceston medal. It was commissioned by F & W Stewart and struck by Stokes, Melbourne.

More Information