One of a set of 47 original photographs of the Australian Federation celebrations in Melbourne 1901 to mark the opening of the first Federal Parliament of Australia. The photographs trace the Royal Visit of the Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York for the occasion, from their arrival in Melbourne on the Royal Yacht 'Ophir' at St Kilda Pier on 6 May 1901 to their departure for Brisbane at Port Melbourne Railway Station on 19 May 1901. The photographs include scenes of the Federation Arches throughout Melbourne, Illuminated City Buildings,'The Opening of Parliament', 'German, Russian, Dutch and American cruisers at Port Melbourne', 'Royal Review at Flemington Racecourse', 'Royal Yacht Ophir and British War Ships', 'The Russian Cruiser Cromoboi...' and 'State School Fetes at the Exhibition Building'.

Description of Content

The Princes Bridge Railway Station and Flinders Street Railway Station towers built for the Federation celebrations, May 1901. Viewed looking west along Flinders Street from Swanston Street. An hoarding on the left of the towers carries advertisements for 'Hans Irvine's Great Western Wines and Pure Grape Brandy', 'Two-Seas Tobacco' and 'Brinmead Pianos at Allan & Co, Collins Street'. A cable tram track runs the length of Flinders Street. In the distance, is the Flinders Street Railway Station clock tower [now housed at Scienceworks, Spotswood].

Physical Description

black and white, silver gelatin, photograph mounted on grey card.

More Information