Typewriter purchased by the National Museum of Victoria in the 1940s. It was used by staff, in particular Elizabeth Mathieson to type labels for cases in the Entomology collection store. Imperial typewriters originated in 1908 in England and were manufactured until personal computers became popular in the 1970s. The company was sold to Litton Industries in 1966 and the typewriters were no longer made in England by 1974.

Physical Description

Black metal typewriter


Purchased in the 1940s this typewriter was used by successive staff in numerous departments. It was last used by the Entomology Department. Whilst this model was a standard public service issue machine, it is one of only two remaining typewriters used in the Museum during the 20th century.

More Information