Black and white image showing Mawson Station.It is situated on an isolated outcrop of rock on the coast in Mac Robertson Land, at the edge of the Antarctic plateau. Built in 1954 it is the longest continuously operating station south of the Antarctic Circle.

One of a set of 12 black and white photographs of the Antarctic taken mostly in the 1950s and 1960s showing images of icebergs, birds, people, landscapes, transport and the establishment of station camps. The images were taken by Phillip Law and others during expeditions to the Antarctic as part of the ANARE programs.

Following World War Two Australian interest in the Antarctic was revived. This saw the creation of the Australian National Antarctic Research Expeditions (ANARE) in 1947 and the Antarctic Division in 1948 to administer ANARE and other Australian Antarctic activities. These two programs were managed by key figures in Australian Antarctic history including Sir Douglas Mawson and Sir Phillip Law.

Dr Phillip Garth Law - known as 'Mr Antarctica' - joined ANARE in 1947 and led Australia's Antarctic exploration for nearly twenty years. He was instrumental in the development of the Antarctic Division and the ANARE and led many Antarctic expeditions.

Description of Content

A scenic view of Mawson Station in Antarctica, circa 1955-1960.

Physical Description

Black and white silver gelatin photographic print on card.

More Information