Summary

Black & white postcard of the 'Exhibition Buildings, Melbourne, Australia', showing the southern facade of the building from the south-west, circa 1904. The postcard is in issued condition and is postmarked 5 October 1904.

The Exhibition Building was built for the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition, which opened to visitors on 1 October 1880. On 9 May 1901, it hosted the opening of the First Commonwealth Parliament of Australia. By the early 20th century, picture postcards of the Exhibition Building were a popular Melbourne souvenir.

The division of the reverse of the postcard, allowing a message to be written on one half and the address on the other, was not permitted in Australia until 1905.

Physical Description

A hand-coloured photographic reproduction of the Exhibition Building, probably during the early years of the twentieth century. On the reverse of the card there is space to write a message, an address and to place a stamp. The card has been issued.

More Information