Photograph of workers leaving the Sunshine factory to catch a train.

This item is part of a collection of photographs, negatives, moving film, artefacts, documents and trade literature belonging to the H. V. McKay Sunshine Collection. The McKay collection is regarded as one of the most significant industrial heritage collections in Australia. The collection relates to the agricultural manufacturing firm, the Sunshine Harvester Works. The Australian operations of this company were originally founded by Hugh V. McKay in the 1890s in Ballarat. Between 1906 and 1907, McKay moved production to Sunshine where the firm became one of the largest industrial businesses in Australia. Change in ownership is a recurring theme in the company’s history. In 1930, it merged with Massey-Harris to become H.V McKay Massey Harris. In the mid-1950s, the company was absorbed by Canadian agricultural firm Massey-Ferguson. Production in Sunshine ceased in the mid-1980s, following almost 100 years of manufacturing agricultural equipment.

Description of Content

Aerial view of workers leaving the HV McKay Sunshine Harvester Works factory, on their way to catch a train at the Sunshine station. View shows the train line running off to the left going to Ballarat, and the line straight ahead to Bendigo. Also can be seen are two passenger trains at the station. The road crossing the line is Hampshire road, and the road running alongside the line is Harvester road.

Physical Description

Black and white photograph

More Information