Image showing the Victorian Torpedo Corps at training exercise, probably at Williamstown, circa 1880s.

The Torpedo Corps was established in 1873 to protect Melbourne and Port Philip Bay from enemy ships. The 'torpedoes' were in fact mines that could be detonated at a distance via electrical cables. Robert Ellery, Government Astronomer, was a Major in the Volunteer Forces in charge of the Torpedo Corps.

Description of Content

Members of the Victorian Torpedo Corps in training to lay a mine or torpedo in Port Phillip Bay.

Physical Description

Digital image

More Information