Black & white photograph looking into the eastern nave of the Great Hall of the Exhibition Building, from in front of the Grand Organ, showing the official dais and decorations being installed as part of the Royal Visit by Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra in September 1959.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Description of Content

View from the western nave along the length of the Great Hall, Exhibition Building, showing a draped curtain partition from the eastern balcony, decorated with Australian and British flags, and potted small trees. Underneath the dome, the official dais has alreayd been installed, and a few figures can be seen on the dais. In the immediate foreground, in front of the Grand Organ, is position a grand piano, chairs and music stands, as part of the 1959 Royal Visit of Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra.

Physical Description

A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.


The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.

More Information