Black & white photograph of the Eastern Annexe in 1928. The Northern section was demolished between 31 Aug and 30 Sept 1971 as Stage 3 of the Master Plan. The Southern section was demolished between the 5 Mar and 1 May 1979 as Stage 6 of the Mastern Plan.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Description of Content

Photograph depicts view from the eastern side of Nicholson Street looking at main entrance of the eastern annexe in 1928. The Palais Royale ballroom can be seen to the left of the main entrance and the "The Residency" building and War Memorial to the right. A car can be seen driving past in the left hand corner.

Physical Description

A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.


The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.

More Information