Black & white photograph looking eastwards along the Great Hall of the Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne, on 11 July 1984 showing the removal of timber floor along the full length of the Hall and beginning to be lifted under the balconies along the northern wall. The work was undertaken as part of a ten-month restoration and maintenance program carried out across 1984-85, called 'Programme '84. Work commenced on 14 June 1984 and was largely completed in time for the International Motor Show that opened on 7 March 1985.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description of Content
View from the western nave of the Great Hall of the Royal Exhibition Building looking towards the eastern nave at the beginning of a maintenance programe carried out across 1984-85 which included the replacement of the timber flooring. The interior of the Hall is still painted white prior to restoration work undertaken in the 1990s to reinstate the decorative 1901 colour scheme.
A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 01/2000
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
PROGRAMME '84 - From Western Entrance July 11th 1984/ (During National Boat Show Tenancy)/ in Gallery.
Type of item
244 mm (Width), 185 mm (Height)