Colour photograph looking westwards along the Great Hall of the Royal Exhibition Building, Melbourne, during the Herald National Boat Show held between 12-18 July 1984, showing the removal of timber floor along the full length of the Hall. The work was undertaken as part of a ten-month restoration and maintenance program carried out across 1984-85, called 'Programme '84. Work commenced on 14 June 1984 and was largely completed in time for the International Motor Show that opened on 7 March 1985.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description of Content
View of the western nave of the Royal Exhibition Building in July 1984, showing the following the removal of the floor boards in preparation for the construction of the basement tunnel.
A colour photographic print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
Place & Date Depicted
Printed below photograph: Great Flooring Project during 1984 Herald National/ Boat Show July 12th -18th - Business as usual in/ Galleries.
Type of item
252 mm (Width), 202 mm (Height)
Buildings, Exhibitions: Melbourne International, 1880-1881, Floorings, Restoration, Royal Exhibition Building, Royal Exhibition Building Trustees, Royal Exhibition Building: History of Events, 1980-1989