Black & white photograph from an elevated vantage point on Nicholson Street looking south-westwards towards the Royal Exhibition Building and Centennial Hall, venue for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting held between 30 September and 7 October 1981.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description of Content
View looking south-west towards the Royal Exhibition Building and Centennial Hall, with the Grollo Fountain visible in the foreground. Victoria Police officers stand at intervals along the Centennial forecourt pathways while a small group of public are gathering along the Nicholson Street edge of the gardens. Outbound along Nicholson Street is a Z class tram, introduced to Melbourne's tram network from the mid-1970s onwards.
A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.
Ten photographic albumbs maintained by the Exhibition Trustees' provide an invaluable visual record of the history, use, changes and restoration of the Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.
Transfer from Trustees of the Royal Exhibition Building (REB), 01/2000
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
C.H.O.M.G. SEPTEMBER 30TH - OCTOBER 7TH 1981/ The Royal Exhibition Building home of C.H.O.G.M. Centennial/ Hall, (foreground) housed main meeting room. The Great Hall/ (background) was site of Australia Exhibition. Offices of the Prime Minister was located within meeting rooms in Centennial/ Hall. In Conference Centre was located two Heads of/ Government Meeting rooms, Eastern Annexe accomodated the/ Commonwealth Secretariat and Western Annexe became a media/ centre.
Type of item
204 mm (Width), 153 mm (Height)