Summary

Black & white photograph showing the Hon. Norman Lacy MP, Minister for the Arts between 1979-82 under the Victorian Hamer Government, shaking hands with the Chairman of the Exhibition Trustees, Mr FRG Strickland OBE, following the unveiling of the plaque commemorating the centenary of the Exhibition Buildings' opening to the general public. Mr John Elden, Director of the Exhibition Trustees is standing next to Mr Strickland. Although the centenary was celebrated on the 19 May 1980, due to both the Minister and the Chairman being overseas on this date, the unveiling of the plaque took place on 13 August 1980.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photograph, objects and research files.

Physical Description

A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. The image shows the Hon. Norman Lacy MP, Minister for the Arts between 1979-82 under the Victorian Hamer Government, shaking hands with the Chairman of the Exhibition Trustees, Mr FRG Strickland OBE, while Mr John Elden, Director of the Exhibition Trustees, looks on, moments after the Minister had unveiled the plaque commemorating the centenary of the first opening of the Great Hall of the Exhibition Buildings to the public. The Minister stands on the left of image while John Elden and FRG Strickland stand on the right of image. The plaque is visible between the three men, mounted vertically with fabric curtains drawn either side. There is a printed caption below the photograph.

More Information