Black & white reproduction photograph of Stawell local MP, Hon. John Woods (1822-92), taken circa 1980, though the original photograph is likely to date to the 1880s. Woods was a staunch advocate for the use of stone from the Mount Difficult quarry near the Grampians and had a pillar of stone from the quarry installed on the south-eastern corner of the Exhibition Building in 1880, claiming the quality of the stone was such that it would outlast the building.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Physical Description

A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. The print is a copy of an earlier original photograph of the Hon. John Woods MP, the local member for Stawell in Victoria. The subject looks out of frame to his right (the viewer's left), is bearded with short greying hair and wears a jacket and labelled waistcoat. The jacket has a flower attached on the left lapel. There is a printed caption below the photograph.

More Information