Black and white photograph of the demolition and removal of gallery seating in the Organ Gallery, 1965. The Grand Organ was removed between May and August 1965.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Description of Content

The Organ Gallery in the Great Hall of the Exhibition Building with organ pipes removed and approximately two-thirds of the seating removed. Four workmen are in the process of removing seating. Suspended lighting hangs overhead.

Physical Description

A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.


The Exhibition Trustees' album containing this photograph provides an invaluable visual record of past maintenance and restoration work undertaken on the Royal Exhibition Buildings prior to the building being recognised with a World Heritage Listing in 2004.

More Information