Black & white photograph of the construction of steel work for the new western annexe of the Exhibition Building, taken 8 June 1962. The photograph shows approximately half of the steel work erected for the new southern section. The old southern section was demolished between March and May 1962.

This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.

Description of Content

Cranes and steel framing on site with the northern section of the western annexe on the right hand side of the photograph. In the foreground on the left hand side of the photograph is a very small part of the roof of the Great Hall, from which the photograph has been taken. In the background there are buildings in Carlton and beyond.

Physical Description

A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph.

More Information