Black & white aerial photograph of the Exhibition Building from north east, taken in 1947. The photograph shows the Exhibition Building, annexes, and remaining huts of the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF) camp.
This is one of 959 photographs (or images) of the Exhibition Building collated by the Exhibition Trustees as a 10 volume pictorial history of the Exhibition Building spanning the years 1880 to 1985. The pictorial history was instigated by the centenary of the Exhibition Building in 1980 and forms part of a larger Royal Exhibition Building collection of documents, photographs, objects and research files.
Description of Content
An aerial view of the Exhibition Building showing the Great Hall, eastern and western annexes and buildings that were used by the Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF). In the top, left-hand corner of the photograph is the Hochgurtel fountain and in the top, right-hand corner cars on Rathdowne Street are visible.
A black & white silver gelatin print on a page of a photograph album. There is a printed caption below the photograph. The bottom, right-hand corner of the image is unclear.
Place & Date Depicted
Photograph, Black & White
The Exhibition Building Melbourne/ from north-east 1947/ In background: the Great Hall, Aquarium and Fernery; to right:/ Country Roads Board and Motor Registration Branch offices; in foreground:/ Palais Royale, Australian War Museum office, Exhibition Youth Club,/ “The Residency” centre: remaining huts of RAAF camp vacated finally/ April 1947.
Type of item
240 mm (Width), 190 mm (Height)
Aerial Photographs, Air Forces, Buildings, Exterior Views, Gardens, Military History, Photography, Royal Exhibition Building, Royal Exhibition Building Trustees, Royal Exhibition Building: History of Events, 1900-1949, World War II, 1939-1945